The Avunatari School on the Island of Malo which sits only a short distance off the coast of Santo Vanuatu. The school is the oldest on the Island and has around 120 students up to year 7.
After visiting the school in 2012 Remote Island Aid supplied books for the Kindergarten also sporting equipment for the school.
Click for videos of Local Kindergarten. Small French School
As you can see by photos and video the school was in need of a great deal of work to bring it up to what most people would call a minimum standard.
We found that the school was in need of some help!!
1. Buildings in need of paint, ceilings that are falling down, iron roofs with no ventilation make the heat unbearable for the students also the cement floor.
2. There is no covered outdoor area for the students to escape the heat and sit to eat, the volley ball court is an old concrete slab and the basic amenities are non-existent.
3. One of the buildings has the old shutter windows which are falling down, rusty and broken, these need to be replaced with louvers and new window frames need to in installed.
4. Ongoing maintenance program is needed to ensure the buildings are kept in an acceptable condition.
5. The 1 computer didnít work due to the solar batteries no longer working.